Sunday, February 14, 2010

When I turn one down...

There's always a lot of questions as to why I am not drinking. I could be a smart ass and ask whether they are referring to that particular time, or the fact that I don't often drink in general. But the truth of the matter is, I have several reasons for not drinking, and all are valid.

1. I'm allergic to alcohol. When I first started drinking three years ago, I thought I simply couldn't hold my liquor. I use the excuse, "I get the Asian flush" and leave it at that most of the time. I HATE the Asian flush. But the truth is, it's just one symptom to my unfortunate allergy.
2. Drinking takes legitimate effort. This is probably because I am allergic to the stuff, but I really have to be in a drinking mood and pump myself up to drink.
3. I hate how foolish I can look when I drink -- especially if it's more than two. Regardless of whether or not people actually judge me (hey, they're drunk too so why should it matter?), I am still very self-conscious and don't want my reputation as a "good, smart girl" to be ruined by me stumbling around or laughing hilariously.
4. For the year of 2010, I am only drinking on twelve occasions, which means I really need to limit myself to those occasions that really warrant a good drink or two. Or three.
5. I hate the way I feel after drinking. The general consensus is that you drink to feel good. Drinking does not make me feel good. In fact, if the way it makes me feel is any clue, then alcohol is definitely not for me. I turn really red, I have a hard time focusing on anything, I'm sure I become chatty and slur my words, after the chattiness subsides, I get very quiet and want to sleep. I'm not a hyper drunk by any means. I am the one who just wants to sit in a corner and be left alone with my pounding headache. I hate the dizziness and the fact that I need to use the bathroom every ten minutes. And people actually want to make themselves feel this way?!? The concept is beyond me.

No comments:

Post a Comment