Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I'd lie

Strike that, I already did. I am finding it easier and easier to lie to students every time I am in the classroom. The question about my age, and then conversely my capabilities as a teacher, come up every time I substitute, so to make things interesting I make up a new story about my past in order to entertain the kiddies.
The latest tale I spun came as an omission of truth. A student asked (quite originally I might add), "how long have you been out of college?" It wasn't the typical "How old are you?" or "Are you old enough to teach?"
I gave him the vague reply, "A very long time." Then followed it up with, "I'm a child genius."
Naturally, they wanted to know how exactly, and if I ever skipped a grade. I told them I never went to middle school. Not quite a lie. I never went to middle school because I was home-schooled until I started high school, so technically, I spoke the truth. The rest of the conversation with various students went like this:
"Wow, can I skip middle school?"
"No I don't think so. It takes a lot of dedication and a lot of test taking."
"So you skipped 6th, 7th, and 8th?"
"Yes ma'am."
"So you went from 5th grade to high school? That means you started high school when you were eleven."
"Technically I was twelve."
They sat in awe.
I felt empowered -- no exhilarated. Oh the things little 13 year olds believe. Thursday is all about the high school kids. If I can convince college kids that you become shorter at the equator (that's another story for another time), then high schoolers should be a breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment