Sunday, February 28, 2010

I will listen to my fortune cookie from now on

Now there are two versions to this short story. I could tell it the way I wish it was, because, let's face it, it would sound so much more bad-a, but I shall tell you both just so you can decide which version is better.

The true story:
A friend of mine got Chinese food across the street and came back to eat it outside the pub. The lady who packed up her food gave her two fortune cookies, so my friend, being the awesome person that she is, offered me one of her cookies. Luck of all luck, there were two fortunes inside. I was stoked. The first one said: "Now is the time to try something new." Good advice. I think I can rock that one. The second one said: "You will soon have the opportunity to improve your finances." I got really excited over this one because it had already come true! Several hours before we were hanging out at the pub, I checked my mail and found an unexpected check from work for over $500. I had no idea I was going to be paid this month since I though I missed the pay period, and was even more surprised with the amount. You see, God still relays messages in creative ways.

The bad-a version:
For lunch today I walked down to the corner and bought Chinese food to go. Always being the impatient one -- not to mention unconventional and backwards -- I eat the fortune cookie before I leave the restaurant so I can read my fortune. Well, the cookie had two fortunes inside, (as some do on occasion), and since that means your fortune has a greater chance of coming true (I think...?), I was excited. Fortune #1: "Now is the time to try something new." Good advice. Not exactly a fortune, but maybe it'll pay off in the end. Fortune #2: "You will soon have the opportunity to improve your finances." Always a good thing. It's a vague fortune, but no matter when, I could always use an improvement where money is concerned. On my way back, I realized I hadn't checked the mail in a couple days and decide to see if we had anything piled up in the box. Lo and behold, inside I found a check for over $500 from the school district I work for. Chills ran down my spine. My fortune didn't waste any time in proving itself. The check was completely unexpected since I didn't think I would be paid until next month.

Now that I know these fortune cookies are legit, I am going to pay a heck of a lot more attention to them from now on. Who knows, maybe trying something new will bring me greater fortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment