Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Day in the Life of a Substitute

I had no idea what was in store for me when I decided to get out of bed this morning and go to work. I hadn't considered the ramifications of ignoring my fever and sore throat, and forcing myself to teach my old classes again. Little did I know that how much my students could still make me blush.

1st period/8:05am: We had been reading Their Eyes Were Watching God in this Junior class, and since I read it in high school (and subbed in this class last week), I felt comfortable discussing this novel with students. One of the review questions the teacher asked regarded a comment Janie (the main character) made to her husband in front of everyone at their general store. This question led to what the southern dialect meant, which led to talking about.........impotence, erections, "shrinkage," and "sagging bottoms". If it weren't for my already flush (and sweaty) face due to my fever, I probably would have had heat-sweats in the middle of class. I never thought I would ever use the word "erection" and "penis" in the middle of an English class.

6th period/1:18pm: The sophomore class had just finished reading the Greek classic, Antigone, in class and now it was time for them to create their own small, one-scene play dealing with the theme of justice or injustice. As I was walking around the classroom observing what the groups were putting together, I was able to eavesdrop on some of the ideas they had. One group decided to deal with the controversy of gay marriage. Not my favorite subject, but who am I to judge their creativity? Inevitably, one male student asked my thoughts on gay marriage. It was at that moment that I knew I was in trouble. Never ask teachers' opinion on controversial subjects -- you'll get them in trouble for sure. Well, since I am a substitute, and I know these students pretty well, I decided to let them know my opinion -- and very professionally, I might add. I told them that I disagree with gay marriage, and tried moving on as quickly as possible. They wouldn't let me. They picked apart my reasoning until I shared as much as I dared without inviting a heated debate. It was at that moment that the boy who first asked for my opinion shared that he was gay. I was doubtful until he shared about his boyfriend and how they wanted to eventually have children of their own. I was desperate to get away. I felt trapped that I might say something to put him down or make him feel embarrassed. I excused myself again and told them to work within the context of their made-up scene and I would check on them later.

No comments:

Post a Comment