Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I Dreamed Jumanji

If you're old like me, you'll understand the reference. Jumanji was epic in its day. I was ten years old when it first came out, and it has completely changed the way I view fiction.

I've been having some very strange and varied dreams this past week. I certainly haven't been bored when I close my eyes. A couple nights ago I had a dream that can only be described as a page out of the Jumanji book. There were elephants, strange "village people" who were after me, children that needed rescuing, and wild horses. By the end of the dream, I was being chased wildly by the post-apocalyptic village people while trying to keep these orphan children safe. I was running and jumping through dilapidated buildings, dodging elephants, and hiding children in a giant barn. By the time I ran out of the barn with four horses after me, I had a leather whip in hand and stood ready to attack anyone who dared threaten me.

My heart was racing so much that when my phone went off at 6:30am I jumped to answer it. My voice didn't even sound groggy. I accepted a sub job without even understanding what school it was for, hung up the phone and snoozed for twenty more minutes.

Sadly, I could not see to the complete safety of those orphans. I will never know what happened to them, or if they're still trapped in the game.

1 comment:

  1. Bullwhip eh? Sounds like you had a tryst with Indy... ;-)

    ReplyDelete