Sunday, May 2, 2010

Becoming Jane



Wesley is a good name.

Tom is also just as swell.

I have just finished watching the movie Becoming Jane, the story of Jane Austen's life before she became known as the authoress of the most amazing novels in English history. I love this story because I consider myself a writer (although nowhere near the scope of Austen's work). When I was finishing up my undergraduate degree, I took a class on Jane Austen and her work, consequently doing my final research paper on the strong connections between her life and her work. Watching the movie shows just how close her life was to Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion, and Sense and Sensibility.

The two different men in her life were both quite noteworthy, but they were never enough for Jane -- either romantically or holistically as a provider. Jane was not wrong in choosing either suitor, nor was she right in choosing a life of independence as an authoress. As time goes by, I'm noticing the same thing in my countenance as I decide whether to marry and settle down with a stable lifestyle or find contentment in single life. Jane was left with a choice where neither path would have been more advantageous than the other. If she chose life with Tom then everything would have worked out exactly the way she projected: Tom's family would be put in more financial straits until everyone (including Tom and Jane) were so miserable that the family would ultimately split up on account of blame, guilt, and no money. On the other hand, if she followed her moral compass and refused the man she loved, the man she had no feelings for whatsoever, and the dear friend who betrayed her, then she would be left with the option of no marriage at all. That is the life she chose. Consequently, she was forced to live vicariously through her fanciful characters where weddings were in abundance and the ill-repute got what they deserved.

What a perfect world Austen created. That seems like the most advantageous choice given me at present. I am inclined to follow in her footsteps and join the ranks of old-maidenhood as I leave my mark as an accomplished author. Even if it does come about posthumously.

No comments:

Post a Comment