Saturday, April 10, 2010

Bathroom etiquette?

I've been trying to write a new blog for a week now, and every time I seem to get sidetracked or I lose my inspiration, and end up saving this thing as a draft. Well, now I have time, and I've found a couple things to write about.

First order of business:
I'd like to take my hat off (figuratively speaking, of course) to those dedicated souls who answer their cell phone in the bathroom -- but not just any bathroom, a public bathroom. It shows a lot of devotion and commitment to the person at the other end of the line (if not maybe a tad disrespect) to answer the phone whilst in a cramped bathroom stall where everyone can here you talking (that's right, those stalls aren't sound-proof despite having a door and three walls). Sure, you might feel a bit of embarrassment, but the person at the other end of the line deserves your attention right now, and cannot afford to be dismissed to an impersonal answering machine. Props to you. You who can't just silence the phone and call them back when your hands are newly washed and you won't run the risk of the other person hearing you pee -- or worse, dropping the phone in the toilet. Good work.

Secondly, I would like to present you with a lesson on etiquette:
Within the last couple months I have been bombarded with phone calls from complete strangers who, consequently, have the wrong number. Generally, I don't mind people who call me by mistake -- it can happen to anyone -- but it really gets my goat when these people have the gall to hang up on me once they realize it's the wrong number. Sometimes people don't even wait for me finish telling them they have the wrong number before I hear a click on the other end. RUDE. If you are calling my number by mistake, at least have the decency to A) admit it, and B) apologize before hanging up.
My standard reply whenever I realize I've dialed the wrong number is: "Oh, I'm sorry, I think I have the wrong number. Thank you." I'm not saying people need to be this formal, but there needs to be a direct end to the conversation other than a click at the other end of the line. Who taught you how to use a phone? If you don't know how to use it, then you shouldn't have it.

My latest encounter with a rude caller was this afternoon in Costco. The number looked familiar (by familiar, I mean I recognized it as a Hermiston number), so after a few rings I decided to answer it. The conversation went like this:
Her: "Who's this?"
Me: "Who's this?" (the voice sounded like a couple people I knew)
Her: "Why didn't you call me last night?"
Me: "What?"
Her: "You were supposed to call me last night, butt-munch."
Me: "Excuse me? Why was I supposed to call you?" (I decided to humor her, despite her rude name-calling)
Her: "Wait, is this Vanessa?"
Me: "No."
Her: "Is Vanessa there?"
Me: "Um, I think you have the wrong--"
**click**

This is at least the third call in which I was blatantly hung up on. I mean, they called me -- where do they get the audacity to hang up when they made the mistake? So being ridiculously frustrated with the treatment, and with a surge of self-righteous vindictiveness rolling down my spine, I texted the number back to share with them a bit of phone etiquette. Wouldn't you know it, it was a land-line. So much for justice.
While I was in the midst of texting, my mother tried to convince me not to waste my time, but I insisted anyway. She then had her moment of "I told you so" and I was even more frustrated. Not even an hour later I received yet another phone call from a Hermiston number. This time I played it smart and silenced it. I figured, if it was important they would leave a message. Sure enough, they didn't. My question is, how have so many people gotten ahold of my number -- especially in the Hermiston area? It's a private cell number, and I've never had problems with "outside" callers, yet I've suddenly had a rash of calls and texts from unknown numbers, and half of the people are rude.

This is it, I'm moving to Thailand and getting a pay-as-you-go phone. Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment