Friday, March 12, 2010

Wounds

They cut away
though you knew not what.
A limb removed
but you felt no loss.
Unconscious to their touch it seemed
a little less of you redeemed.
Pray, do not wake for another day,
but sleep assured without the pain.
And never know the sight you were
as the earth received your sacrifice,
and drank
The river red spilling from your veins.
See not the pity or the shame
when you gaze upon your claim to fame.
Know that the crippled body be
the one true testament of your love for thee.
****
This was written for a friend of mine. If it's not obvious, he was a soldier
wounded in Iraq. He survived, but paid the price with the loss of a leg
and multiple scars covering his body. This was my first reaction when
I heard the news from home. I was taking a poetry class and was working
on my next one to present when I got the phone call. It's old -- I think I
wrote it back in 2005. I found it in my old files from school. It still brings
back sober memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment