Friday, March 12, 2010

The Joy of Listing

I like lists. A lot.
But this is common knowledge.

Although list-making is pretty self-explanatory stuff, and usually takes the form of scratch paper with the typical markings from a pen or pencil. However, my note pad of choice lately has been my small dry-erase board mounted in my bedroom. It now has a permanent "To do" written at the top so I can make daily lists of what I need to do. It has worked out surprisingly well; I didn't think I would remember to check the board or change the lists, but things get done. And if I don't get it done on one day, then it stays on the board until I can successfully erase that sucker right off.

And that's the beauty of the whole thing -- I can erase each item instead of crossing it off. What's the difference, you may wonder. Here's the difference: erasing allows me to not have to think about it anymore (it's not on the list, is it?), and gives me more room to add things to it as they come to me; crossing things off simply provides an ego boost so at the end of the day I can take note of what I accomplished. Who needs that? I shall erase.

Currently I have nothing on my list for Friday. This is pretty good having an open day to do whatever I want. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment