Monday, March 15, 2010

Prologue-ish

“Hush now, my child. All is well.” The woman rocked the infant back and forth gently in her arms. The small baby flailed her arms wildly, but refused to quell her cry. She tossed her head with full force and balled her hands into fists.

The dark haired woman sat in a stool and chuckled softly to herself. “You are just like your father, stubborn and insistent.” She expertly held her closer and began humming a soft melody.

After another minute the baby finally stilled, looking for the first time at the women holding her in her arms. She opened her mouth in toothless awe. Her black eyes were transfixed on the woman’s face, holding her in an unbreakable gaze. Finally she smiled and let loose a light gurgle.

The woman continued to hum the soothing tune, nuzzling the child’s head in the crook of her neck. “That’s right my beautiful baby, you just wanted me to sing to you,” she smiled. “Listen to my voice; listen child, and I will guild your step. Be open to my calling and I will bring you near to me.” Her lyrical voice held the child’s rapt attention. “Listen little one, all will be well. I have already stormed the gates of hell. There is nothing to fear when I am near. You are safe, safe in my arms.” As the final notes faded in the still air, the child sighed into blissful sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment