Sunday, January 3, 2010

Ring in the new year

I decided a few days before Christmas that I wanted to have a New Years resolution. Now since I refused to have resolutions for the past nine or ten years, it's time to start using up my resolution tab. I do have some legitimate resolutions, but I also have some goals I'd like to accomplish. You see, resolutions have come to imply some kind of breaking of bad habit, or a start of new, good habits. It is no longer a resolve, or a vow, to do something -- at least not how Americans interpret the word in connection to the new year.

So without further adieu, here are my new years resolutions:

1. Get rid of 20 pounds by June. I say 'get rid of' because it is not simply a matter of 'losing' the weight, I know where it is going, and it is going away from me. I plan on doing this by eating smaller portions of food, eating the right kinds of food, walking/jogging every weekday, utilizing the weight room since I paid hundreds of dollars for it already, and finally by toning my arms by lifting the little 5-pounders. I looked at my license earlier today and noticed the weight I was when I first got my license at the ripe age of 17. It would be amazing if I ever dropped down to that again. Since my license expires on my birthday this year, I'd really like it if when I renew my license, the weight category does not need to change....
2. Secure a teaching job overseas. Now I can find a job here in the states, and probably even here in Oregon, but I'd rather not. I need a change. I feel a need to cleanse my pallet, as it were, by putting myself in a very different teaching environment with very different students and a very different teaching staff. Public schools are incredibly restricting and I would loathe every minute teaching in an American public school. So far I've applied to one job in Korea and am looking into another one in the South Pacific.
3. Push myself out of my comfort zone in a way that is more positive than negative. What I mean by this is that I do try to get out of my comfort zone when the opportunity arises; however, I usually feel miserable most of the time. I want to work on changing my attitude toward being in different or unusual situations. Most of the time this will mean meeting new people and forcing myself to enjoy it and make the best of the situation instead of withdrawing from the social circle and secluding myself. Really it comes down to making other people feel comfortable and not being so self-absorbed.
4. Deepen my relationship with Christ. So far God has been extremely lenient with me in terms of reaching out to me. He has come to me on my terms, in ways that I would understand Him humanly. This should not always be the case. Sure, I am only human and would only be able to understand Him as such; however, I have made little effort to get to know my Savior on a daily basis in many years, and I'd like to consistently dive into His Word and stay in contact with Him more. Also, I'd like to get more involved in my church. I have no excuses not to, so here I go -- I'm diving in.
5. Earn $6000 in savings. Originally I had budgeted for $8000, but since finding jobs is a bit more challenging than I remember it being a year ago, I'll shoot for something more reasonable and say $6000. In any case, that will be more than enough to pay for two summer vacations. I have a part-time job to keep me busy on the weekends, so during the week, I will be scouring the countryside for substitution jobs. This may entail me driving back and forth between Hermiston and Monmouth, but I really don't care. I need to pay the bills.
6. Drink less alcohol. Since this is a vague statement, let me elaborate: I will allow myself twelve drinking occasions. If I really wanted to budget my drinking habits, I would drink alcohol once a month, but this is really quite flexible, and as long as I do not go over the twelve times, then it makes no difference to me if I do it all in one month. Since I am by no means an alchy, I think this is a very attainable goal.
7. Strengthen my relationship with my siblings. I've been working on this unofficially with my brother ever since I moved off to college, but tragically, my relationship with my sister has fallen to the wayside and I will need to improve on this this year.
8. Spend less money and eat at home more. I need to learn how to say 'no' to friends who want to eat out -- even if it's just for coffee/tea. As it is, coffee costs just as much as Yangs, so the price verses how much it fills you can not be compared.
9. Learn to be okay with being the third wheel. I'm always the third wheel, but since I don't really care to start cutting out all my friends who are in relationships, I want to be content in the situation. "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds." This is a trial that I must bear, and I will do it well, gosh darn it.
10. Walk at graduation, and convince the new graduates to sing happy birthday to me as I'm walking up to get my diploma. It's my 25th birthday, why shouldn't I celebrate?

Thus ends my list of resolutions. I don't know how long they will last, but I'm hoping that by sharing these with the world, that you can all help keep me accountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment