Sunday, January 31, 2010

Lessons Learned

Now that I'm done with formal education and, consequently, have a lot of time on my hands, I've been contemplating some of the recent lessons I've learned. These are completely random, but are also based solely on personal experience.

1st: never go to a child's birthday party unless you have a child of your own or are married and trying to have children. I went to a resent two-year-old's birthday last month. I grew up with her parents and am consequently very close to this little girl, so I thought it would be fun going to her birthday party. Well, needless to say, I will not be going to another little girl's birthday while I'm single. So....it's going to be a while.

2nd: dry goods actually can go bad. Two experiences in one weekend - tried eating Premium crackers with soup and discovered with much disappointment that they definitely tasted...off. Then I took a bite of an Oreo cookie that I've been saving for a rainy day (coincidentally, today) and found it to be less than crunchy. Now if these were home-baked cookies, I'd like them to be soft, but not Oreos.

3rd: salsa, when opened, actually has a longer shelf-life than nacho cheese and my grandma's famous jam. This made me quite sad since I adore grandma's jam and wish it didn't have a giant splotch of mold floating on top.

4th: through a series of unfortunate events, I've found that the only "person" I can rely on is Jesus Christ. I've mentioned it before, but people are embarrassingly unreliable even for the smallest things, so if I care to get anything done, I must remember to do as much as humanly possible myself and leave the rest up to God.

5th: always, ALWAYS have a plan B. And in some cases a plan C wouldn't be too bad either; because when things fall through, (as they inevitably will), a backup plan is an absolute must. For instance, if you plan on meeting up with someone at a non-social event it is prudent to bring along something to read -- a book, magazine, a pamphlet on how to avoid STDs -- so you're not waiting awkwardly at a coffee shop, park, or restaurant. And if they the other person is late or doesn't come at all, at least you have something to do and not look like the awkward loner sitting at an empty table.

6th: the more I'm single, the more I want to remain this way for sheer comfortableness. The phrase: "can't teach an old dog new tricks" comes to mind without bitterness. I look around and see couples -- either married or dating -- and wonder how they ever got past the uncomfortable first-few-dates stage. Then I wonder how some make it look incredibly easy and natural, while others make it look like an impossible chore that they have to do in order to still 'have someone'. Finally I remember that I don't have to think about any of that because I only have me to think about. I give a sigh of relief, let me tell you.

7th: God WILL open the window as he slams the door shut on your butt, just be prepared to fly. I'm learning to be more in-tuned with the voice of God lately because He's had to pretty much slap me upside the head with what He's trying to tell me. The biggest decision has been about finding work for next year and I have been applying and interviewing at different schools; now I have to let God show me where He wants me to go. Believe me, giving this decision to Him is not an easy task for this control freak.


No comments:

Post a Comment